Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- Our Security Staff uses electric vehicles instead of those powered by gas.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Queens Center recycles plastic and glass in our Management Office. We also use a filtered water system in favor of bottled water.
- Queens Center utilizes a single waste stream set to recycle cardboard, paper, glass and plastic.
- Energy reduction devices have been added to escalators yielding a 20 percent savings in KWH.
- The operating hours of escalators, elevators and Air Conditioning have been moved closer to store opening times to help save energy while continuing to provide our shoppers and retailers a comfortable atmosphere.