Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- Our Security Staff uses electric vehicles instead of those powered by gas.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Queens Center recycles plastic and glass in our Management Office. We also use a filtered water system in favor of bottled water.
- Queens Center utilizes a single waste stream set to recycle cardboard, paper, glass and plastic.
- Energy reduction devices have been added to escalators yielding a 20 percent savings in KWH.
- The operating hours of escalators, elevators and Air Conditioning have been moved closer to store opening times to help save energy while continuing to provide our shoppers and retailers a comfortable atmosphere.
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building